Music review | The Honey Trees- Bright Fire

Found on survivingthegoldenage.com
So, I haven't done one of these in a very, very long while (about three months) and last time, I did Birdy's Fire Within (which was a massive success, thanks for checking it out!). It wasn't exactly the newest album, so I decided to do something a bit newer and my victim today is Bright Fire by The Honey Trees. 
I was first introduced to The Honey Trees via my followers on my indie blog and I fell in love with them. Loads of various websites describe them as "a dream pop" duo, which is not usually the genre I'd go for, but something made me love them. In 2009, they published their EP Wake The Earth and they've been silent ever since. They haven't published anything in almost five years, which is enough for a band to lose the entire fanbase, but they didn't and they came back. Five days ago, they published their first full-length album and this is what I think of it. 

The album opens with By The River, a very dreamy song, which for some reason reminds me of the forest an awful lot and just strolling along in it... Aaaaanyway, the song has so many sides to it, if that makes sense. It can be very intimate and very calm and then it just explodes into your face and it turns into something completely different (a bit like First Days of Spring by Noah and The Whale) and I bloody love it. It's followed Still I Try, which is the first song ever (I think) that puts their singer Becky Filip in the background a bit and allows us to hear more of Jacob Wick's lovely voice and a lot more of the string section in the back. It's a very slow paced song, a love song and again, very dreamy and tranquil piece of work. 

The next song on the album is Nightingale, which in my opinion, resembles a lot to Orchard, a song from their EP. It's the first more fast paced song and it's their first single from the album. The best way to describe it is with Becky's own words: 

 ...it’s a song that encompasses all the feelings of experiencing something unfamiliar… the exciting feeling of flying as well as the fear of falling at the same time. It’s just about trying to put those fears aside to truly experience life, the good and the bad."

There's nothing more I can add to it. It's pleasantly optimistic and very enjoyable.

The fourth song off the album is The Fall, which again, lets Jacob to take the lead role in the vocal's section. It starts very calm and almost a bit jazzy (if you pay attention to the harmonies) and then it picks up the pace. It's about taking risks and doing something you'd never do before and hoping it turns out for the best. The song is followed by Golden Crown, again, another very slow paced song that is exceptionally more dreamy than the others, that resembles a very slow paced waltz and it's about fighting everything you crave for inside of yourself. If it's meant to calm you down, then it has reached its purpose.

Found on youtube.com
The next song is called Like A Thousand Stars, which somehow reminds me of The Beatles. Not sure how, but it does. It's a bit more optimistic than the other songs, not just in the lyrics, but also in the melody. The harmonies progress from minor to major scales and it kind of makes everything appear a bit more hopeful. It might be my favourite song from the whole album, because I can clearly paint a scenery in my head to this song (strolling along the beach just before the sunset with the person you love) and it's just really adorable.

The following song, called Siren is the one that has a lot of story behind it. It's (pretty obviously) about dangerous love and inspired by the sirens in the Greek mythology (they were women, portrayed as femme fatales, who lured the nearby sailors close to them with their beautiful songs and then, they got killed for it) and it's a myth that can describe love in this era very well. The trick is that you shouldn't fall for someone too hard, because you will get hurt. The song involves a lot of onomatopoeia's, if that makes sense; there's a lot of impersonations of storms and stillness, almost like it intends to impersonate The Seaside, which is ironically the next song on the album (extra points for that smooth transition? No? OK...). It's another slow paced song that you could listen to while you fall asleep. It's a very layered song; there's a lot going on, but you can't really tell, because it's so goddamn well produced and just very calming.

The following song is called Ammon's Horn, which is about remembering something you wanted to forget, because it hurt you and then remembering everything in loads of details and getting hurt again. Also, Ammon's horn is a part in your brain, which is responsible for our long- and short-term memories, so I think that songs is very cleverly titled. It's a ballad and it's just really calm and powerful, in a way. The album closes with Wild Winds and Ours,  the first one being a (yet again) very calm song, very rich in the vocal section, which almost seems to make it drip with honey (pun intended) and the latter being musically rich ballad about separation and wanting to have back the years you had with someone and reliving them again. It's a short and sweet song that closes the album without a massive blast, leaving you feeling strangely calm.

Found on directcurentmusic.com
Bright Fire is a very, very dreamy album, that almost works like a lullaby (it did with me), not because it's so boring, but because it's very calm. After listening to it, a strange sense of calmness flew through me and that's ALWAYS a good thing with me. The album is very rich in the string section, which adds to the meaning of every song and it almost feels like... It's best to explain it like this; the ancient Greeks wrote their famous tragedies (like Antigone and King Oedipus) in order to make the audience feel the catharsis, i.e. moral purification of sorts and that's how this album feels. It purifies you of all the worries and just calms you down. That's what I thought through the time of listening to it.
I loved the shared role in the vocal section; that's the reason why the album didn't feel boring in any way and it just made the whole thing a bit more diverse and dynamic. The harmonies are bloody gorgeous and the backing vocals aren't too intruding or molesting, the lyrics are heavenly. There aren't many bad things I can say of this album; it's not the genre I'd usually go for, but I loved it (for a girl who likes strong guitar rifs and stadium anthems).

I think that the best way to describe this album is: put some Daughter and First-Days-Of-Spring Noah and The Whale into the concoction, add a pinch of The Beatles and Lucy Rose and just a drizzle of Mumford & Sons and you have Bright Fire by The Honey Trees.

For almost five years of work put into this, I think it's a very good album, that deserves a solid 4.5/5.


I hope you've enjoyed the second instalment of my music review series and I shall see you soon!
xxx Katherine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© what the water gave me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena